November 29th from 1:30 PM – 7:30PM
November 30th from 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM
*Union and Non-Union Actors May Apply
Accepting Submissions from Toronto/GTA
Production Title: Bluebeard’s Castle
Dates: March 21, 2023 – April 1, 2023
Against the Grain Theatre (AtG) is looking for three (3) adult and two (2) child or young adult actors to act in silent roles in an upcoming production of the opera Bluebeard’s Castle by Béla Bartók. The show will be a live presentation performed at the Fleck Dance Theatre, 207 Queens Quay W, Toronto, ON M5J 1A7.
We are interested in seeing Union and Non-Union artists from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, all abilities, and all body types. We welcome all submissions and strongly encourage IBPOC artists to apply.
The ability to read music is an asset but not required.
ROLES TO BE CAST:
Memories 1 & 2 – female-identifying, age 20-30
- Memory 1 is a young woman wavering between seductive confidence and first-time nerves before spending the night with her boyfriend.
- Memory 2 is the same woman hiding her sorrow by arguing with her boyfriend before he heads to war. Comfortable with being in full-coverage underwear or a slip on stage.
Memories 3 & 4 – female-identifying , age 25-35
- Memory 3 is a blushing bride on her wedding day.
- Memory 4 is a content new mother who is exhausted but ready to protect her child from threats.
Memories 5 & 6 – female-identifying, age 40-50
- Memory 5 is a tired, nurturing woman who enjoys spending time with her family.
- Memory 6 is a grieving mother who tries to remain strong but eventually breaks down at her son’s funeral.
River – child male, age 10-15 (or can pass as)
- A happy and excited boy on Christmas morning. While his scene does not include mature subject matter, please be aware the opera explores themes of loss, death, and dementia.
Meadow – child female, age 12-17 (or can pass as)
- Able to transition from the joy of Christmas Morning to extreme sorrow when mourning the loss of her younger brother.
- Please prepare one monologue, no longer than 3 minutes.
- Please be prepared to improvise movement to a soundtrack to show comfortability reacting to the music and hitting beats.
- Please be prepared to participate in a working session with our Associate Director.
- To apply to audition, please fill out the Google Form by clicking the button below
- We are accepting submissions from both Union and Non-Union artists.
- The deadline to submit is NOVEMBER 22nd AT 11:59 PM
- Please email any questions regarding the audition to Andrew Adridge at firstname.lastname@example.org
*While we greatly appreciate everyone’s interest in this production, only those selected to audition will be notified due to time constraints.
Learn more about our production of Bluebeard’s Castle by clicking here.