Get excited… we are hiring a Director of Operations!
Founded in 2010, Against the Grain Theatre (AtG) is a JUNO-nominated, Dora Award-winning company with a vision to evolve the nature and perception of what opera and vocal works can be. AtG is a Canadian-based arts organization that creates genre-bending, boundary-breaking operatic and vocal works by weaving memorable artistic experiences with diverse storytelling. We are committed to creating work in alignment with our organizational values of compassion, belonging, accessibility and collaboration that speaks to a modern audience.
Against the Grain Theatre (AtG) is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Director of Operations to join our team and oversee the operational aspects of our opera company. Reporting to the General Director and the Board of Directors, the Director of Operations will ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of all operational areas, including organizational and production management. This position requires a strong background in operations management, excellent organizational and leadership skills, and a passion for the performing arts.
This is a 12-14 month contract position, three (3) days a week. Salary is $40,000 – $50,000 per year. Application deadline is July 9, 2023 with an anticipated start date of September 5, 2023.
- Audit and review processes and procedures, making recommendations and adjustments to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Prepare and manage annual and production budgets and report to the Board on budget development, including cash flow projections.
- Manage the annual audit process with contracted auditors.
- Oversee the work of a contracted bookkeeper, who manages monthly reconciliations, payroll, payroll remittances, and employment and regulatory filings, as required.
- Recruit, hire, onboard and mentor team members and contractors, establishing goals and responsibilities for all positions.
- Maintain an effective system of performance appraisals for team members, inclusive of coaching for performance and providing ongoing feedback.
- Execute the organization’s fundraising strategy.
- Manage the process of grant prospecting, application writing and reporting.
- Manage donor and granter relationships, including individual donors, corporate donors and granting officers (foundational and governmental).
- Manage fundraising events and stewardship activities to maintain positive donor relationships.
- Manage donations and stewardship activities and benefits in Sumac Donor Relationship Management software.
- Manage filing of charitable tax returns.
- Issue tax receipts.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS:
- Oversee communications strategy and execution in collaboration with contracted communications personnel.
- Manage development and distribution of e-newsletter.
- Make updates to website, as required.
- Develop and oversee annual and individual production schedules.
- Hire artists and creatives based on the union requirements of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association, ACTRA, Toronto Musicians’ Association and the Associated Designers of Canada.
- Manage vendor agreements for venues and equipment rentals.
- Manage travel, accommodations and visa for visiting artists and creatives.
- Participate in production meetings.
- Manage the hiring and training of volunteers for productions.
- Provide regular updates to the Board on the company’s performance, as well as opportunities and challenges through formal reporting and communications.
- Attend and participate in all bi-monthly Board meetings and ancillary committee meetings.
Other duties as assigned.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter in one file to email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Operations” by July 9, 2023.
Against the Grain Theatre is an equal opportunity employer committed to fair and accessible employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We particularly encourage equity-seeking groups, including BIPOC, New Canadians, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ and other diverse identities, cultures, and origins, to apply. While we thank all who take the time to apply, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.